Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ansan Street Arts Festival / Cross-posting

Hi everyone,

As usual I've been really busy, and also pretty uninspired in terms of stuff to write about on here. I have the sum total of zero news, unless you like hearing about how I haven't been outside the building for 3 or 4 days at a stretch. I am fine though, and continuing to drag myself reasonably successfully through my new job and my MA. I've also been hard at work on my other blog, and while I tend to keep the two separate normally, my latest post reveals a bit about ex-pat life and Korea in general which might be interesting to you, particularly if you have a passing interest in sociolinguistics or discourse analysis, particularly where race is concerned. If you have 5 minutes, take a look here:

http://breathyvowel.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/microagressions-and-difference/

In one of my rare forays into the sunshine, I did pop over to the Ansan Festival of Street Arts on Saturday, seemingly to watch people hooking themselves up to cranes and do stuff they could just as easily have done on the ground. Never doubt the importance of a crane in making shit look cool though:







Credit for this photo goes to my amazing, creative, multi-talented and generally all round wonderful language exchange partner and friend Bo Yeon Kim. (Is that credit enough? ^^)











Not content with swinging from cranes, the final act was something called Project Nalda (프로젝트 날다, meaning Project Flight), a rather novel combination of breakdancing, abseiling, light suits and fireworks. My camera wouldn't cope in the dark, but this Youtube video gives you an idea of what it was all about. I thought it was pretty awesome.


That's more or less it, but there is a promise of slightly more exciting stuff on the way. I'm off to Jeju with work this weekend, and then in two weeks I have the biggest presentation of my life at the KOTESOL National Conference. It's fair to say I'm bricking it a bit, but I'm pretty sure all will be fine. I'll try to post some photos or videos after the event.

Until then,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment