Sunday, September 18, 2011

News & Photos

Hi all. I've managed to find a spare hour in my weekend to write a blog post. I'm fine, in case you were wondering. This semester is now well underway, and things seem much less stressful and rushed than last semester, mostly because I simply have less classes, but also because the second semester is a couple of weeks shorter, and contains the Korean thanksgiving holiday, and so compares favourably to the relentless drudgery of the spring semester.

I'm currently mulling over a fairly difficult decision with regards to next year. I'm (almost) definitely staying in Korea, but I am considering changing jobs. I'd really like to work at a university if I can, but the big problem is that that requires not renewing my contract, and then searching for a university position. Obviously, were I not to get one, that would leave me in the proverbial. There's also the problem that I'd have to take a sizeable pay cut to go and work at a university. However, university work would be a lot more satisfying, I'd get to see my students more often, and teach at a bit of a higher level. On the other hand, I know I have a really good job here, with a school that is great, and good friends in my town and staying wouldn't be a bad thing at all. As you can see from this paragraph, it's not an easy decision. I'll let you know how it goes.

One pleasing bit of news is that I received a distinction for the first module of my MA course. It's always worrying waiting for work back, especially as my project was a little out there, and so carried the risk of being completely wrong. Thankfully, it wasn't, and I'm glad the hours of transcribing my conversations with students weren't in vain.

Anyway, that's pretty much all my news. I haven't been up to much since my last post, so below is a collection of photos from stuff I've done this year that I haven't had time to post about.




Before the summer break I had to say goodbye to my third grade classes. This made me really sad, as a nicer, more enthusiastic bunch of students you couldn't hope to meet. Really. Even the naughty kids were great. I already miss these guys an awful lot. One advantage of getting a uni job would be getting to teach some of them again!

LG Twins vs Samsung Lions baseball game in Seoul


Linda and an upside-down seal at COEX acquarium.


Zip-lining in Jumunjin.


What the Koreans really think of us.



The alchemy of dakkgalbi: a magical transformation of cabbage, chicken and pepper paste into the greatest dish in Korea. This was taken at the Chuncheon Dakkgalbi festival, where it was so good we ate it twice.


Making and eating spicy cold noodles (way, way better than it sounds), also at the Dakkgalbi festival.

That's it for another post. More news when I have time, but with my next MA module starting, it might be a couple of weeks.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment