Saturday, September 25, 2010

Two go to the penis park

So here's another set of my summer holiday photos. I realise I've been shamefully slow in getting these up, but I've been busy, OK? I'm always planning to do some serious writing on here and get right up to date, but I don't know whether I'll ever get time. Anyway, for now here are some of the continuing adventures of Nick and me during his visit to Korea.

Having finished hiking in Seoraksan and popped back to Jinbu for "Hope and Soju", we then set off down part of the east coast of Korea. We popped in on Jeongdongjin, where we looked around the North Korean sub there and had quite a few beers in the revolving bar on top of the Sun Cruise Hotel. We then hopped on the Sea Train down to Samcheok. The Sea Train is an interesting concept: it's a train in which all of the seats are turned sideways, with large windows through which you can enjoy the coastal views. A nice idea in practice, but when the mountainous scenery in the opposite direction is arguably more spectacular, this seems a strange choice.

Samcheok is a small city centered slightly inland. It's quiet, or at least it was when we were there, and relaxed. It has a reputation for excellent raw fish restaurants, which is what we set out to find for dinner. We wandered into a seafood restaurant, but it only did cooked fish. The owner suggested we head to his brother's restaurant instead, and even called us a taxi to get us there. When we arrived we were treated to a wonderful meal, mostly served by the restaurateur's two children, who strived valiantly to tell us what everything was in English and make sure that we were OK. All through the trip I was struck by how kind and helpful people were to us, and it made me very glad I stayed in Korea this summer.

After dinner and some post dinner bottles of soju, we road-tested another brand of hangover drink and went to bed. We awoke to an absolute stunner of a day. Our tourism options seemed to be visiting a cave to mooch about in the damp and cold, or go and look at enormous wooden penises and suffer sunburn and epic back sweats. If you know me or Nick, you can probably guess what we chose. Here are a selection of the photos I'm not too ashamed to put here...

Nick hugging a giant wooden cock. These captions are going to be easy to do. I don't even have to try to be funny, I just say what I see.

A giant, very manly looking woman with a glans for a head. She's pregnant and giving birth at the same time. You can't see in this photo, but the baby also has a large wooden penis. See what I mean about the captions?

This is the reason that the penis park was built, to placate an angry woman's ghost. I'll give you one guess as to what she's holding.

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel sitting on one of these. I mean, they're stone so probably not very forgiving.

휴지!


As if anyone could have resisted taking the two photos above.

A giant penis. Designed to look like a cannon. That moves up and down. And has a water feature coming out from underneath it. Only in Korea.

I think what I liked the most about the place was that it was actually an incredibly beautiful park. An incredibly beautiful park filled with big wooden phalluses.

Just hangin' out.

Speechless.

That would surely just be more of an inconvenience than anything else.

The beach. And some penises.

Men and their dogs. And penises.

Yes, I think those really are chaise longues.

I've run out of captions. You can finish yourselves off...




No comments:

Post a Comment