Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why are you so pissed off?

Because I haven't had any exercise all week. The last time I did anything was Sunday, when I ran up every step to the top of the hill on Sunday. It had been a blazing hot day, but had cooled slightly to a perfect evening temperature. I stood catching my breath at the top of the hill, gazing at the endless mountains sinking into the evening's haze in every direction.
"Brilliant," I thought. "Summer's here and it's going to be awesome."

It's now Thursday evening and the precipitation has finally abated. I say precipitation, because I woke up to see a fine dusting of snow covering Jinbu this morning. There was also a little drizzle in the air, being vaporised again as it was smashed into the windows of my apartment by the gale howling up the valley. Still, it did stop, the sun came out today and everything looked nice again. Time to restart football again, which had been on a weather induced hiatus.

Excited, I rode my bike down to the sports complex, expecting to see many keen footballers who, like myself, had been forced to spend the week cooped up in their apartments. Like me they'd be keen to get out and run around. I'd even timed myself to be a little late so as not to have to stand awkwardly around not making conversation. This would probably mean walking straight into an ongoing game, right? Wrong. There was one car in the car-park, with one guy sitting in it. The windows were tinted so I couldn't even see who it was. Not really wanting to go and knock on the window (on account of not really being able to say anything when it was rolled down) I wandered on to the pitch. The car drove away. I was left alone on a futsal pitch, with nothing to do except lob a rubber ball around while a cold wind tried to sneak under my jacket.
"Bloody lightweights," I swore to myself, and rode home.

More Bad English

Big fans of an acronym, the Koreans. Every city seems to be "Happy Suwon", or "Healthy (or is it Wealthy, I can't tell) Wonju". The adjective is then acronimised to say Healthy, Aspirational, Personable, Pleasant, Yakubu or something. Anyway, there's an acronym on the way into the school which reads S.W.E.E.T. I'm not sure whether it's aimed at the students or the teachers, but it's aim is to set out the virtues of a good teacher (that's the T). I can't remember what one E is, but the other is Encouraging and the S stands for Smiling. Definitely not a description I'd apply to all of the teachers at my school. The W though, stands for "Warm-fearted" (sic), which I guess after a lunch of spicy fish soup and fermented cabbage, may well be applicable.

Just time for the Korean phrase of the day, this ones for the corporate amongst you:

저휘 거래를 했습니다
Jeo-hee keo-rae-leul haes-seum-ni-da.
We got a deal!

Ta ta.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment